Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Biography


I am Martin Luther King, Jr.
Written by Brad Meltzer and Illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos, 2016

Front CoverThis children's book is a wonderful way to teach children about the life and accomplishments of Martin Luther King, Jr. This colorful biography of his life really helps tell his story. The illustrations in this book are cartoon style which really helps to appeal to children and also helps to show them the events occurring in the story. This biography starts at the young childhood age all the way to the young adult age Martin Luther King, Jr. passes. His story is so important for children to know about because he changes American history forever and led the United States to racial equality.
Image result for Martin Luther King, Jr.
Motivational Activities
Have the students create a timeline of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s life including all of the important events of his life regarding the changes he made in American history. 
Have the students reread the "I have a dream" speech and come up with their own I have a dream speech and then read them aloud to the class.


Discussion Questions
Before reading this book did you know who Martin Luther King, Jr. was?
If you could change one thing to change in America today what would it be?
Would you have marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. and why?

Other books by Brad Meltzer...
I am Amelia Earheart
I am Abraham Lincoln
I am George Washington
I am Rosa Parks
Heroes for my Daughter

Meltzer, B. (2016). I am Martin Luther King, Jr. Penguin.








No comments:

Post a Comment